Our Clarinet Academy will not be offered in 2022, but we look forward to offering this experience again in 2023!
The four-day Clarinet Academy provides high school clarinetists with a unique opportunity to develop as musicians; engage with peers; work with Ohio State faculty, clarinet students and alumni; and enjoy the college experience on campus. Activities include private lessons, master classes, performing in solo, coached chamber groups and the Ohio State ClariNetwork clarinet choir.
Professor Caroline Hartig
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grades 9–12 in the next school year, and current-year high school graduates.
Typical Daily Schedule
- Wednesday — 1:30 p.m. to approx. 9 p.m.
- All students audition on Sunday afternoon for placement in chamber ensembles and for the Student Solos Concert.
- Students should come prepared to audition on a solo piece of their choosing.
- Bring piano scores as appropriate.
- Thursday–Friday — 9 a.m. to approx. 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday — 9 a.m. to approx. 3 p.m.
Clarinet Academy Concerts — All performances are free and open to the public.
- Thursday, 8 p.m. — Counselors Concert
- Friday, 8 p.m. — Student Solos Concert
- Saturday, 1:30 p.m. — Finale Concert
- Parents/guardians and participants will receive permission forms via DocuSign shortly after registration is complete. All forms must be returned by the deadline indicated in order to participate.
- Shortly before the start of the program, a Digital Handbook will be published here. This handbook contains important information for a successful experience. All participants and parents/guardians should read it carefully prior to the start of the program and can refer to it often throughout the week.
- Approximately one week before the program, participants and parents/guardians will also receive an email with basic information about what to pack, arrival, parking, check-in and more.
ARRIVING OR DEPARTING BY AIR?
The final schedule for each program may not be available until a few weeks before the program begins. However, most programs have a closing concert in which all students will want to participate. For those departing by air, flights should be scheduled after 7 p.m. Please note, Ohio State Youth Summer Music Programs cannot be responsible for ground transportation to/from the airport. Contact the YSMP Registrar at YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu for details.