For Academic Year 2023–2024
Bachelor of Science in Music: Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts, and Media and Enterprise
NOTE — If you are applying for a degree program in Composition, Jazz Studies, Liberal Arts in Music, Music Education, Musicology, Performance or Theory, please RETURN to Undergraduates — How to Apply.
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. The university application for academic year 2023–2024 opens August 1.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
1. Review the application materials that are required for each track of the Bachelor of Science in Music and have them prepared to upload prior to submitting your application.
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below.
- There is a $15 student application fee. (To see if you qualify for an Acceptd® fee waiver, visit Acceptd Support.)
- The deadline to submit your Bachelor of Science in Music application is February 1, 2023.
Step 3 (Optional): Schedule Your Audition
The audition process is an option for the Sonic Arts and Music and Enterprise tracks of the Bachelor of Science degree. It is required for the Computer Science track IF you do not submit a composition. See Required Application Materials.
Taking an audition is required if you also wish to be considered for other degree programs within the School of Music (Performance, Music Education, Composition, Musicology, Bachelor of Arts in Music).
1. If you choose to perform a live audition, you will be asked to select an audition date as a part of the application process. Note that if you are unable to attend one of these dates and opt to submit a recorded audition with your application, the deadline is February 1.
AUDITION DATES FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2023–2024
- Saturday, Dec. 3, 2022 (No viola)
- Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023 (No viola, no concert percussion)
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023 (No oboe)
2. You must prepare your audition according to the requirements for your instrument. Refer to Audition Requirements.
Theory Placement Exam
The Theory Placement Exam (TPE) is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered online to students that have committed to Ohio State and paid their acceptance fee in late spring, prior to Summer Orientation and registering for classes.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Visit these sites for information about merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
- Visit Undergraduate Admissions/Scholarships for details about academic scholarships.
- Visit Types of Aid for Incoming Freshmen for more information about financial aid options, eligibility criteria and deadlines.