Welcome to Audition Day
We are glad you have taken steps to apply and audition for The Ohio State School of Music. We welcome you, and wish to make this day as educational and enjoyable as possible. Below you will find audition dates and information that will assist you with your visit to campus.
Visit Undergraduates — How to Apply for detailed instructions. Once you apply to the university (deadline: February 1), you will also complete an application for the School of Music via Acceptd®. On that application, you will select your audition date.
Undergraduate Audition Dates
Please check dates carefully when selecting your audition date. Audition dates occur in the same months as OMEA Solo and Ensemble contests. Your college audition is an all-day commitment. Please do not plan to participate in both activities on the same day.
Audition dates for admission in the 2023–2024 academic year:
- Saturday, December 3, 2022 * (No viola)
- Saturday, January 21, 2023 (No viola, no concert percussion)
- Saturday, February 11, 2023 (No oboe)
* Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships. If you apply to the university by the November 1 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December audition date on your School of Music application so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
To prepare for your audition, consult the School of Music Audition Requirements.
Audition Day schedules vary slightly. The exact schedule, along with final instructions, will be emailed to students and parents approximately one week before their audition date.
You can also find the schedule (once it becomes available) posted on the Audition Day Event description on our calendar.
A typical Audition Day schedule may include:
- 9–9:30 a.m. — Check-in
- School of Music Welcome
- "Meet and greet" with faculty and student ambassadors
- Optional sessions on Music Education, the Marching Band, Financial Aid, etc.
- School of Music building tours
- Access to practice rooms for warm-up throughout the day
- Audition times usually begin around 11:30 a.m. and may go as late as 4 p.m. depending on your instrument. If you need to schedule a specific time, please contact Tanya Sparks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dress for audition day can range from business casual to formal. You should look professional, yet feel comfortable.
- Coffee, tea and bagels are provided during check-in.
- Lunch is on your own.
- In case of inclement weather or unavoidable travel delay, please take all the time that you need to arrive safely. If you miss the theory exam, we will make other arrangements. If a Level 3 or above snow emergency is declared, audition day will be cancelled and rescheduled. Travel safely!
- Students will be emailed final details a week prior to audition day, and will receive an assigned audition time at check-in on audition day.
Directions, Parking and Accommodations
- Driving directions and parking procedures for School of Music visitors
- Hotels, dining and more (University Hospitality District)
Are you a transfer student?
On audition day, transfer students will have a scheduled academic advising meeting to discuss how credits from your previous institution will transfer to Ohio State.