- Practice rooms in both the Timashev Family Music Building and in Weigel Hall are available by reservation only. See each section below.
- Do not eat or drink in the practice rooms. WATER ONLY. For safety, do not leave your personal belongings in the room, and take your trash with you when you leave.
- Health and Wellness — We recommend that you use good hygiene practices when using practice rooms. These could include using disinfectant wipes on high touch surfaces such as door knobs, piano keys, etc.; wearing masks with more than one person in the room, etc. We do not provide PPE items for 2022–2023.
- Wind players — DO NOT release your water valve onto the floor. Please collect excess water on a paper plate, towel or other disposable item and dispose of it carefully in the trash container when you leave.
Timashev Practice Rooms
Practice rooms located throughout the Timashev Music Building are available to all Ohio State students with priority being given to music majors. The rooms are unlocked during regular building hours, unless otherwise noted (see Facilities). Campus buildings are closed during university holidays.
Timashev Reservation Guidelines
Rooms are available ONLY by reservation via Microsoft Bookings. Some rooms are available on the hour, others on the half hour.
You may reserve more than one block at a time (maximum 3 time slots per student, per day).
- Log in to MICROSOFT BOOKINGS using your university email and password.
- Select a practice room, then click on the date you wish to reserve it. Available times are listed.
- You will receive a confirmation email upon submitting your reservation.
Questions about Timashev Practice Rooms? Email Christopher Dent.
Weigel Hall Instrument and Piano Practice Rooms
The practice rooms on the second floor of Weigel are for MUSIC MAJORS ONLY.
These rooms must be reserved according to the guidelines and schedule below, and are available by KEY ACCESS ONLY.
- Rooms may be used only when the building is open (see Facilities). Campus buildings are closed during university holidays.
- A $5 cash deposit is due when a key is checked out, and is returned to you with the return of the key. Non-music majors are not allowed to have keys to any of these rooms.
Weigel Reservation Guidelines
- Rooms may be reserved for the semester. Reservations automatically repeat each week.
- Only music majors may sign up for Weigel practice rooms.
- If you are:
- enrolled for 2 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 7 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 5 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- enrolled for 4 hours of lessons (piano and other) — you may sign up for 14 hours per week of practice time. Non-piano majors may have 10 of those hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- a doctoral piano student — you may sign up for an additional 6 hours on weekends.
- a GTA (graduate teaching associate) giving individual instruction, you may sign up two days ahead of everyone else. In an effort to be fair to other students, you must abide by the following guidelines:
- Maximum of 10 practice hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 teaching hours between 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Maximum of 6 hours on weekends
- Maximum of 4 hours in evenings
- Total of no more than 26 hours per week
Weigel Practice Rooms — Reservation Timeline
Practice rooms may be reserved at the beginning of each semester and will be available to the designated student at their assigned time throughout the entire semester.
Reservations will be managed through Sign-Up Genius beginning Monday, Sept. 5 and ending on Friday, Sept. 9 at 5 p.m. Use the links below to sign up according to the seniority schedule, with preference given to piano majors for rooms with grand pianos. Only PIANO MAJORS may reserve piano practice rooms during sign-up week.
Week #3 — Practice Room Sign-Up Seniority Schedule (please sign up on your day ONLY)
Monday, Sept. 5 — GTA Teaching Hours
Tuesday, Sept. 6 — GTA and Graduate Student Practice Hours
Wednesday, Sept. 7 — Seniors
Thursday, Sept. 8 — Juniors
Friday, Sept. 9 (all sign-ups end at 5 p.m.) — Sophomores/Freshmen
Weigel Practice Rooms — Sign-up links
Beginning week #4, hours that are not signed out by anyone may be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Email Tim Donel at firstname.lastname@example.org for reservation inquiries and questions.
IMPORTANT — The School of Music has a 15-minute rule. If a student does not show up for their scheduled time within 15 minutes, the room is forfeited for that hour and can be used by another student. However, if the student has reserved more than one hour, s/he can reclaim that room at the next hour.
Questions about Weigel Practice Rooms? Email Production Manager Tim Donel at email@example.com for more information —OR— by appointment: Weigel Hall, Room 122 between 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays.