For Academic Year 2023–2024
NOTE — If you are applying for the Bachelor of Science in Music degree (Computer Sciences, Sonic Arts or Media and Enterprise tracks), you must visit Bachelor of Science in Music — How to Apply.
Academic admission to the university is separate from the School of Music application and audition process.
Step 1: Apply to The Ohio State University
- Apply by November 1 if you wish to be considered for most university merit scholarships.
- Visit Undergraduate Cost + Aid for more information on university financial aid and scholarships.
2. The university application for academic year 2023–2024 opens August 1.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Music
2. Apply to the School of Music via Acceptd® at the link below.
- There is a $15 student application fee. (To see if you qualify for an Acceptd® fee waiver visit Acceptd Support.)
- All applications should be submitted by January 28, 2023, OR two weeks prior to your chosen audition date, whichever comes first.
3. As part of the application process, you will be asked to select an audition date.
AUDITION DATES FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2023–2024
If you apply to the university by the November 1 early action deadline, we strongly encourage you to choose the December 3 audition date so that your university admissions decision is not delayed.
- Saturday, Dec. 3, 2022 (No viola)
- Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023 (No viola, no concert percussion)
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023 (No oboe)
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition dates, you may choose to:
- Upload a video of your audition with your School of Music application by January 28, 2023.
- Email Tanya Sparks to schedule an individual appointment to audition by mutual agreement with our faculty.
4. Refer to Audition Requirements for repertoire suggestions, requirements for your audition and instructions to create and upload a video if you cannot attend a live audition.
All auditions — whether in person or recorded — will receive full and equitable consideration for admission.
For more information about our audition days, including a sample schedule, visit Audition Day Information.
School of Music Scholarships
All talent-based music scholarships are made by faculty recommendation after your audition. These awards are separate and in addition to any merit-based or need-based scholarships that may be offered by the university.
Theory Placement Exam
The Theory Placement Exam (TPE) is administered to determine whether a student’s prior study has sufficiently prepared them for Theory I, and will help to inform the scheduling process. The exam covers basic notation, scales, key signatures, rhythm and chords.
The TPE will be administered online to students that have committed to Ohio State and paid their acceptance fee in late spring, prior to Summer Orientation and registering for classes.